- Medikinet XL is indicated for the treatment of ADHD in children aged 6 years and over and adults.
- Medikinet XL can be continued in adult patients who have shown a clear benefit from treatment with Medikinet XL in childhood and/or adolescence.
- Medikinet XL is licensed for newly diagnosed adult ADHD patients.
Capsules are available as 5mg, 10mg, 20mg, 30mg, 40mg, 50mg and 60mg offering the broadest range of methylphenidate presentations. Medikinet XL 5mg allows fine-tuning of the methylphenidate dose to meet the individual needs of the patient.
- Medikinet XL combines the advantages of both immediate-release and extended-release formulations of methylphenidate.
- 50% of the Medikinet XL dose is provided by the immediate‑release component and 50% of the dose is provided by the extended-release component.
- When taken after breakfast, the immediate-release portion of Medikinet XL dissolves rapidly and results in an initial peak plasma concentration.
- After passing through the stomach and into the small intestine, the extended-release portion of the hard capsule releases its methylphenidate resulting in a second rise in plasma concentration approximately 3 hours later.
- It is important to take Medikinet XL with, or after food, to prevent the extended-release component releasing prematurely.
6. Medikinet XL Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) (Accessed January 2021)